top of page



Resolution Process

  • This option encourages active involvement between you and SCFSS staff.

  • It is the preferred method as it promotes problem-solving and allows flexibility in finding a solution that addresses your complaint(s).

  • The resolution process typically takes 30 days to complete, unless an extension is agreed upon.


Administrative Review

  • The Administrative Review involves an examination of your complaint issue(s) by a Review Authority (RA).

  • The RA is an impartial person with no prior involvement in the complaint.

  • The RA will review your complaint(s), reach a conclusion, and may provide recommendations.

  • The Administrative Review is typically completed within 30 days, unless an extension is agreed upon.

  • You can request an Administrative Review at any time during the complaints process.

Complaint Filing Guide

At Scw'exmx Children and Family Services Society (SCFSS), we are dedicated to providing high-quality services to Indigenous children, young persons, and families in the Nicola Valley, both on and off reserve communities. As part of our commitment to Indigenous people and communities, we have implemented a complaint resolution process to address child welfare issues in a fair, honest, and transparent manner.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is accepted if it relates to a decision, action, or failure to act concerning SCFSS services in the Nicola Valley. You may have a complaint if:

  • You feel you are being treated unfairly or disrespectfully.

  • Staff members are unclear about their expectations of you.

  • You are not included in case planning and decision-making about yourself or a child in care.

  • You have concerns about your eligibility for services or access to them.

  • You believe the rights of a child in care have been violated (refer to the booklet "Know Your Rights – A Guide for Young People in Care").

Who can make a complaint?

You can make a complaint if:

  • You are currently receiving services from SCFSS or believe you should be receiving services.

  • You are representing someone who is receiving services from SCFSS and believes they should be receiving services.

  • You are the Representative for Children and Youth.

How does the complaint resolution process work?

SCFSS offers two options for resolving your complaint(s):















Advocacy Support:

With your consent, an advocate can assist you during the complaints process. They can help you submit a complaint, accompany you to meetings for support, and help you express your needs. Your advocate can be a trusted friend, family member, band representative, or community professional. In the case of children and youth, there is an independent advocacy office called the Representative for Children and Youth (RCY) that directly advocates for them, ensuring their voices and rights are upheld. The RCY also provides information, advice, and referrals to support agencies. Please refer to the back of this brochure for contact information.

SCFSS complaint process is guided by the following principles:

  • Everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect.

  • Respect for all traditions, cultures, values, and beliefs.

  • The rights, best interests, and views of the child or youth guide the process, regardless of who initiated the complaint.

  • No negative consequences will result from making a complaint, including for children, youth, and families.

  • Confidentiality and privacy of individuals and families will be respected.

  • Everyone, including children, youth, and families, has the right to involve an advocate, relative, or friend for support.

  • All complaints will be responded to within established time frames.

  • SCFSS is committed to actively resolving complaints.

If your complaint concerns a child who may be in need of protection, please call the Helpline for Children toll-free at 310-1234. The helpline is available 24/7, and no area code is required.

Your SCFSS worker's role is to support Indigenous children and their families in a culturally appropriate manner and offer services to children, youth, and families.

For more information, please contact:

SCFSS - Complaint Specialist Phone: 250-378-2771

Toll-Free: 1-877-378-2773

Fax: 250-378-2799

Address: #85 Highway 8, Merritt, BC, V1K 0A7



If you have completed the complaint resolution process and are still not satisfied, you have additional options:

Director of Administrative Review

Phone: 1-877-387-7027

Representative for Children and Youth

Phone: 1-800-476-3933 Fax: 250-356-0837 Email: Website:

Office of the Ombudsperson

Phone: 1-800-567-3247 Fax: 250-387-0198 Website:

We are here to ensure that your concerns are addressed, and we encourage you to reach out if you need further assistance.

To continue filing a complaint, please fill out this form

Success! Message received.


(250) 378-2771

310-1234 Call To Make A Child Protection Concern After Business Hours


Fax:  (250) 378-2799



Downtown Office:

1988 Quilchena Avenue

Merritt, BC

Main Office & Mailing Address:

1750 Lindley Creek Road

Merritt, BC

V1K 0A3

Language Nest Office:

183 Nawishaskin Lane

Shulus, BC

Business Hours

8:30 - 4:30 Monday to Friday

Closed 12:00 - 1:00




File a Complaint

SCFSS will respond to complaints associated with the rights of children in care in a way that is child-centred, fair, open, accountable, accessible, timely & safe.

File a complaint
Map Anchor

Scw'exmx Child & Family Services Society

We are all somebody's 7th generation.

bottom of page